How To Improve Website Ranking On Google In 2020? SEO Best Practices
As we approach the next decade, digital marketing continues to change. The businesses that will adopt the change, will thrive and rest will only survive.
In this decade online marketing became the number one way to reach potential customers and build a successful business.
At the center of online marketing is search engine optimization (SEO). SEO is one of the pillars of digital marketing and it continues to change in 2020.
Is SEO Still Relevant in 2020?
The biggest challenge faced by small businesses in Saskatoon, Regina, anywhere else in Saskatchewan or even Canada for that matter is that when a consumer is online searching for related queries, their business must appear on search engines.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) marketing ensures that your business website, your blog posts, your content is consumed at the right time, by the right audience when they are looking for answers or services on search engines.
And that your website ranks higher on Google, Bing and other search engines organically.
Your website’s Google rankings will hold the same importance as they did five years ago in the next decade.
More and more people are not with the internet, with cell phones. This simply means more searches, so the short answer is yes, Search Engine Optimization will still be vital to any business and worth the investment.
Why is SEO more important in 2020?
As digital technology continues to advance fewer people are going out to turn to traditional sources such as Radio, TV, Print or even visiting the physical stores.
Before making a visit we all look online.
The trend is going to continue in 2020.
Your current customers or future potential buyers will continue to use Search Engines to do their research.
How to get ranked on Google in 2020
Getting your website ranked by Google can be tricky. Here are some simple things to do that can help.
- Optimize Headlines & Descriptions – Make sure that your site is appealing, and that people will want to click on it. The more people click through to your site, the higher you will be ranked in the future.The blue is the title tag (headline)
The grey is where you enter descriptions (meta tags)
- Time On Website – A key factor that Google looks at when determining if they should display your website in the search results is how much time people spend on your website.This is a clear indication to Google that your website has superb content and offer value to the audience.
To increase time on the website you need long-form articles, audio files, images, infographics, and videos.
- Voice Searches – every day Google Home, Home Mini, and other Voice Activated products are being sold on Amazon and other retailers.Canadian homes are not smart homes.
Do not miss out on this.
How people voice search is entirely different from a common Google search.
Imagine your vehicle requires an Oil Change.
What will your search be on a desktop computer?
“Oil Change Saskatoon”
“Oil Change Station”
Now if you were to make a voice search your search will sound like:
Hey Google, please find me an
“Oil change company near me”
“Which oil change place is open right now?”
Think long-tail keywords to rank on Voice Searches.
- Download Speed – The attention span of a consumer is less than 6 seconds. You only have a few seconds to capture their attention and make them stay on your website, your virtual business store.
Check your website speed using Google’s Speed Test Tool.
- Content is King – Does not matter which industry you are in, you have the valuable information that your clients search for online.
Make sure you are the authority in your space.
- Content-Length – Making sure that you have enough content can be just as important as having the right content. Most articles in the top slots have about 2500 words.
Plus, you can always go back to your cornerstone content and add more to it, revise it.
- Google Search Console – Once you have edited any page on your website, call Google to visit and crawl your website by using Google Search Console.
- Mobile-First – In Saskatchewan 44% of all of internet traffic nowadays comes from Smart Phone.Every household has more cell phones than laptops or desktop.
Include Tablets traffic and we are well in the 60% of total internet traffic in Saskatchewan coming from Mobile Devices.
What does this tell you?
Check your website on mobile-first and then on desktop.
Your customers use the cell phone more than anything else during the day.
- Use social media influencers – Contracting with an influencer can help to bring more traffic to your site. When your site gets more traffic, the search engine Artificial Intelligence (AI) also known as Search Bots, Crawlers takes more notice and will put you higher in the results.Influencer marketing is the best cost-effective marketing available to small businesses.
If you are in the Travel Industry, find a travel blogger in your area and offer them a free product for the next 12 months and ask them to post once a week about your products.
- Don’t Forget BING – Most new Windows computers, be it a desktop, laptop or Surface comes with BING as their primary Search Engine. 10% of Canadian use Bing as their search engine because they either do not know how to change the search engine or maybe do not know which search engine they are using or simply believe that all search engines are Google.10% of our websitedepartment.ca traffic comes from organic searches on Bing.
- Videos – Google searches videos as well. Having relevant videos with SEO descriptions and titles can help ensure that your Google ranking is high.
- Images – Yes, use keyword-rich Image Title Tags so that Search Engines like Google, Bing, and others can index your image!!
How to maintain your business website rankings?
You have been consistently doing it.
Do your keyword research using tools like ubersuggest or SEMRush.
Write quality content.
Use Google Trends to find the in-demand trends to write about.
Just push hard and make sure you are applying the SEO best practices.
Traditional marketing has its place still in the society, however, online marketing is where your customers are today.
Find them, nurture them and retain these customers using Online Marketing & SEO best practices.
If you struggle with improving business website rankings on Google, or just want to up the Google Ranking game, feel free to contact us.
We are SEO Experts based out of Saskatoon, Canada.